As the holiday season approaches, how can you protect your business from festive phishing scams? During the holidays it’s crucial not to let your guard down, especially when it comes to cybersecurity. Phishing scams tend to spike during this time, taking advantage of the hustle and bustle to sneak into unsuspecting inboxes. In fact, a study by Akamai Technologies found that during the holiday season there was a 150% increase in phishing victimization (You can read the full study here) In this blog post, we’ll highlight common phishing scams during Christmas, share best practices for protection, and extend an invitation for a free cybersecurity assessment from Carpathia IT to ensure your small to medium business stays secure.
‘Tis the Season for Festive Phishing Scams
1. Fake Shipping Notifications:
- Cybercriminals often send emails pretending to be shipping companies, providing fake tracking information. Be cautious and verify shipping details directly on the official website.
2. Gift Card Scams:
- Phishers may impersonate colleagues or executives, requesting gift card purchases for supposed office gifts. Always verify such requests through a separate communication channel before taking any action.
3. Bogus Charity Emails:
- Scammers exploit the spirit of giving by sending fake charity emails. Verify the legitimacy of charitable organizations independently before making any donations.
4. Malicious E-Cards:
- Be wary of unexpected e-cards from unknown sources. Clicking on links or downloading attachments could lead to malware infections.
Best Practices for Protection
1. Educate Your Team:
- Conduct cybersecurity awareness training to educate employees about the risks associated with phishing scams and how to recognize them.
2. Verify Suspicious Emails:
- Encourage a culture of verification. If an email seems unusual or requests sensitive information, verify its legitimacy through a separate communication channel.
3. Use Advanced Email Security:
- Implement advanced email security measures to filter out malicious emails before they reach your inbox.
4. Keep Software Updated:
- Regularly update antivirus software, firewalls, and other security measures to defend against the latest threats.
Your Business Deserves a Cyber-Resilient Holiday Season
Carpathia IT understands the importance of safeguarding your business, especially during the festive season. That’s why we’re offering a complimentary cybersecurity assessment for small to medium businesses. Our experts will evaluate your current security posture, identify potential vulnerabilities, and provide recommendations to strengthen your defenses.
Schedule Your Free Cybersecurity Assessment
Don’t let cyber grinches steal your holiday joy. Contact us to schedule a free cybersecurity assessment with Carpathia IT. Ensure your business stays cyber-resilient this holiday season.
Safeguard Your Business from Holiday Phishing Scams
While the holiday season is a time for celebration, it’s also a period of heightened cybersecurity risks from festive phishing scams that target your business. Stay vigilant against phishing scams, adopt best practices, and fortify your business with a free cybersecurity assessment from Carpathia IT. Let’s work together to ensure your business enjoys a secure and cyber-resilient holiday season.